Main Beach Swim Area
300 Lakeshore Dr, Crystal Lake
2023 MAIN BEACH PRE-SEASON Sat, May 27-Mon, May 29 9 am-Dusk Tu, May 30-Fri, Jun 2 Noon-Dusk 2023 MAIN BEACH REGULAR SEASON (7 days/week) Jun 3-Aug 10 9 am-Dusk 2023 MAIN BEACH POST SEASON (weekends only) Sat, Aug 12-Sun, Aug 13 9 am-5 pm Sat, Aug 19-Sun, Aug 20 9 am-5 pm Sat, Aug 26-Sun, Aug 27 9 am-5 pm Sat, Sep 2-Mon, Sep 4 9 am-5 pm West Beach Swim Area
2330 Lake Ave, Crystal Lake
2023 WEST BEACH REGULAR SEASON Sat, Jun 3-Fri, Aug 11 (7 days/week) 11 am-7 pmPlease note: A valid photo ID with a Crystal Lake Park District address or current utility bill is required to receive Resident Daily Admission rates for Crystal Lake Park District Residents.
CHILDREN (AGES 3 & UNDER)
FREEYOUTH (AGES 4-15 YRS)
$9ADULT (AGES 16-59)
$12 SENIORS (AGES 60 & OVER) FREE $9 RESIDENT GUESTS $4 NA
TWILIGHT RATE (BEGINS AT 5 PM)
1/2 PRICE ADMISSION PARKING FREE FREE
Beach Passes are available at Main Beach or the Administration Office, 1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue, Crystal Lake during summer operating hours. Beach Passes are for beach use only and do not include the boat launch, boat rental, program or special event privileges. Beach Passes do not include entrance of guests.
Please note: A valid photo ID with a Crystal Lake Park District address or current utility bill is required to receive Resident Beach Pass rates for Crystal Lake Park District Residents. Seniors (60 yrs & older) and Children (3 yrs & under) are free and do not require a pass
2023 Season Beach Pass
Adult (Ages 16-59)
Youth (Ages 4-15)
Seniors (Ages 60+)
Children (Ages 3 & Under)
Season Beach Pass replacement
-Air Temperature is below 68
-Lightning or heavy rain
-Low in-water attendance
-Safety considerations, including high bacteria number (determined by McHenry County Health Department)
What's happening with the lake
You may also notice that after heavy rainfall, the beaches may be put on "Swim Advisory." The water is OK to swim in, but swimmers should be aware bacterial quality levels could be elevated. We are in constant communication with the McHenry County Health Department to ensure we are communicating with swimmers.
When the water is deemed unsuitable for swimming, the beach will be closed. The water will then be re-tested everyday by the Health Department until we can reopen.Stay up-to-date on beach closures by subscribing to our Rainout Line.
BEACH CLOSING UPDATES
View and/or register for Main & West Beach weather and water condition related closures on Rainoutline.
View beach updates from McHenry County Department of Health.
WEST BEACH is listed as WEST PARK BEACH
MAIN BEACH is listed as LAKE PARK BEACH
A lock-up area for bikes is provided at Main and West Beaches. Bikes are not allowed inside the parks/beaches.
Dogs and Other Animals at Beaches
Animals are prohibited at Main Beach Park and West Beach Park (qualified service animals are exempt.)
Handicapped Beach Wheelchair
A handicapped beach wheelchair is available at Main Beach. Please contact the Main Beach Office (815.477.5404) for further information.
Boat House Direct Line: 779.994.7060
Life jackets included in rental fee and are required.
Last rental goes out 1 hour prior to park closing. View Main Beach Hours of Operation
Free parking in the Main Beach parking lot.Boating on beautiful Crystal Lake is fun and affordable through the Park District boat rental operation at the Main Beach Boat House. Fees are on a per boat basis.
Present your reservation receipt at the gate for admission. Swim area access not included.
- 12 - 15 year olds may use boats with a signature of a parent/guardian who is present on the beach.
- 16 - 17 year olds may use boats with a signature of a parent/guardian.
- For sailboat rental, participants under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the sailboat.
RESERVATIONSOnline reservations are recommended to ensure your choice of boat type and time slot. Walk-up reservations are available at the boat house.
Use the "Search" tab and select "Boat Search" under the Boat Rentals heading (button above takes you directly to this option)
In the Rental Search Criteria box, enter the date you wish to reserve your rental and enter the type of boat you wish to rent. Select "Search" and a list of boats and the availability in one hour time slots will appear.
You will be asked to pick the family member that will be renting the boat, put a check mark in the box and "Continue". Select one family member for the reservation. Complete the waiver form agreement and proceed to checkout and complete your purchase.
If you have a credit on your account, the system will automatically apply the credit towards the purchase price. You will view this information during the check-out process.
- Prior to making your first reservation, you will be prompted to set up a household profile in the online registration/reservation system
- Please double check your reservation date prior to completing the online transaction.
- If you need to reserve multiple boats at the same time or a rowboat for 4 hours or more, contact Heidi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Type of Boat
Capacity: 4 people or 564 lbs
Capacity: 4 people or 705 lbs
3 people or 400 lbs
Single Kayak: 1 person, 300 lbs
Double Kayak: 2 people or 500 lbs
Triple Kayak: 3 people or 500 lbs
Stand Up Paddle Board
Capacity: 1 person, 300 lbs
Dragon/Duck Paddle Boat
Capacity: 5 people or 1400 lbs
* To rent a sailboat, you must present a Park District sailing card, which can be obtained by taking our sailing program, or one from another reliable organization. Sailboat participants under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the sailboat.
** Half price, per hour, if rented for a minimum of 4 hours.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Renters must follow wake/no-wake hours, speed limits etc. Please note: the link above will take you to the City of Crystal Lake public document website.
All residents of the Crystal Lake Park District are eligible to boat on Crystal Lake. See Boat Launch Key information below. The Village of Lakewood and the City of Crystal Lake have a joint agreement for regulating and patrolling the lake. A copy of the Crystal Lake Boating and Safety Regulations as put forth by the Village of Lakewood can be found at the Village of Lakewood website.
You must purchase an Annual Lake Usage Decal from the City of Crystal Lake.
For those lakefront homeowners needing one time on/off ramp access, please coordinate a day and time with Park Services. The direct phone number is 815-477-5007.Park District Residents Only (May 1, 2023-Apr 30, 2024)
Park District resident boat owners must purchase a new key card each year to use the Main or West Park launch ramps. All watercraft must enter through boat gate. Daily admission fees apply to the permit holder and all guests wanting to use the beach and/or swimming areas at Main or West Beach.
Current Boat Launch Key Holders: 2022 keys will be deactivated April 30, 2023. Renewals begin May 1, 2023.
Fee: $90 (Ages 18-59 ); $45 (Ages 60 +) Replacement Key: $15
Required Documents: 2022 gate key; registration form (see below); current boat registration and proof of residency.
Keys are available for purchase at the Crystal Lake Park District Administration Office, 1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue (Hours: M-F 8:30-5 pm; or drive thru Sat 9:30am-12 pm (Apr-Aug)
In order to place your watercraft (i.e. jet skis, kayaks, stand up paddleboard inflatables, etc.) on Crystal Lake, from either a public or private launch site, the following criteria must be met:
In order to launch onto Crystal Lake via the Main or West Beach boat launches, please purchase a Boat Launch Key at the Crystal Lake Park District Admin Office (info above.)Please note: launch of any watercraft via Kamijima Park is prohibited.
- You must be a resident of the City of Crystal Lake, the Village of Lakewood or reside in the Crystal Lake Park District's boundaries.
- The watercraft's registration must reflect the resident's name.
- You must purchase an Annual Lake Usage Decal at Crystal Lake's City Hall.
In order to purchase a boat launch key, you must provide all the following documents in person at the Crystal Lake Park District Administrative Office:
-Current Illinois Driver's License
-Application Fee (see above for amount)
SPECIAL EVENTS / BOAT LAUNCH EXCEPTIONS
We would like to make you aware of annual events that effect the MAIN BEACH boat launch area:
Fireworks - Sun Jul 2
Movie in the Park - Sat Aug 12
- Front gates will open at 9 am.
- No one is allowed to reserve tables until after 9 am. Items on tables before 9 am will be removed.
- For everyone's safety, picnic tables are not to be moved to another location of the park.
- Regular Resident and Non-Resident admission applies until 2:30 pm. Starting at 2:30 pm, admission is $5/person.
- Park south of pavilion closed Fri Aug 11 & Sat Aug 12
- Boat launch closed Sat Aug 12, West launch open
- Shoreline boat parking prohibited 3 pm - 10 pm
Storage space is available: April 1, 2023-October 31, 2023
Park District Residents Only
The Park District has boat stalls available for rental in the West Park dry storage compound. Registration for dry storage spaces begins April 1 at the Park District Administration Office. Stalls will be leased on a first-come, first-served basis. One stall per household.
To rent a stall, you must provide the following documents in person:
- Proof of Park District Residency
- Illinois Watercraft Registration Card
- Registration Form and Fee
One (1) Sailboat* or Rowboat
*16 ft or under that does not nave a catamaran-style hull
$205 (age 60+)
Kayak or Stand Up Paddleboard (2 per stall)
Canoe (1 per staLL)
$130 (AGE 60+)
During the summer season, the Crystal Lake Park District offers Private Sailing Lessons and Group Sailing Lessons.
Anyone wishing to rent sail boat from the Crystal Lake Park District Boat House must present a sailing card from a Crystal Lake Park District course, or another reputable organization. Sailors may also present ownership papers of a sailboat to rent a boat on Crystal Lake. Passengers do NOT need to present card, only person sailing.
Group Sailing Lessons
Enjoy the carefree life of a sailor! We provide the boats, life jackets, sailing partner if needed, and expert instruction. Upon completion of this class, students must demonstrate the basic skills and knowledge of sailing to receive a Park District Sailing Card, which is required for renting sail boats on Crystal Lake. Water shoes and beach attire are required.
DAYS 2023 DATES TIME R/NR FEES CODE M-TH 6/5-6/8 1-4 pm $160/$208 340211-01 M,W 6/12-6/21 5-8 pm $160/$208 340211-02 M-TH 7/24-7/27 1-4 pm $160/$208 340211-03
Questions? Email Heidi at email@example.com.
Private/Semi-Private sailing lessons
Ages 13 & Up
Beginner (4 hours total)
Resident Fee: $150 Individual / $250 Couple
Non-Resident Fee: $195 Individual / $325 Couple
Experienced (2 hours total)
Resident Program Fee: $75 Individual / $125 Couple
Non-Resident Fee: $98 Individual / $163 Couple
To schedule lessons, first complete the Private Lesson Request Form and submit at least one week in advance of your preferred start date. For additional information, contact Heidi Stolt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reservations and Group Outings
For questions regarding Beach Group Reservations, please contact Heidi Stolt at email@example.com
group reservations at Main or west beach
please note: there is no minimum reservation number for Residents. The reservation minimum below is for Non-Residents.
Main Beach: Min guarantee: 25 people Max: 400 people
West Beach: Min guarantee: 25 people Max: 50 people
Please note: A valid photo ID with a Crystal Lake Park District address or current utility bill is required to receive Resident rates for Crystal Lake Park District Residents.
Resident Admission: $1/person. Each non-resident guest is $4 (children under 3 years and adults over 60 years are free)
Non-Resident Admission or Corporate Group Admission: $8/person. Each resident guest is $1 (children under 3 years and adults over 60 years are free). Proof of residency is required.
Reserved Picnic Tables: $10 each; random picnic tables are on a first-come, first-served basis
Area 6 Reservation: $60 includes 4 permanent picnic tables and covered area adjacent to playground
Additional Amenities: Notice required at least one week in advance
Tents brought into beach: 10x10 or smaller pop up tents - no charge
Field Trips-Weekdays at Main or west beach
Res Rate: $1 per person (minimum 12 people)
Non-Res Rate: $6 per person (minimum 12 people)
Field Trip Reservation Form required.
Please note: picnic table reservations not accepted Tuesday evenings, holidays and special events.
MAIN BEACH PAVILION & BAND SHELL
Guests may rent the Main Beach Pavilion or Band Shell for their special occasions. The Pavilion features 72" round tables, air temperature control, wood floors and LED light display. The band shell, nestled among the big oak shade trees on the north end of the park, provides the perfect backdrop for your event.
swim area Rules
1. No one may enter the water without a lifeguard in the stand. Swimmers must follow the lifeguard's instructions.
2. Swimmers must stay within the roped off area. Red Buoys indicate water over 3 feet deep. Blue Buoys indicate water over 5 feet deep.
3. Main Beach - No floats allowed beyond 3 foot buoy line. West Beach - No floats allowed beyond 3 foot buoy line for anyone under 21. Adults 21 & over, no floats allowed beyond the 5 foot buoy line. Floatation devices must be inspected by staff to ensure proper type and U.S. Coast Guard approved. Personal floatation devices are on hand for swimmers to use.
4. Patrons are to conduct themselves on the beach and in the water in such a manner as to not jeopardize the safety of him/herself or others.
5. No diving allowed.
6. No food or drink in the water.
7. No smoking or vaping in the park or on the beach.
8. Children under the age of 11 must be accompanied by a person 16 years of age or older.
9. The lake water is not suitable for drinking. It is recommended swimmers shower and towel dry after leaving the water.
10. All infants must wear rubber or plastic pants. All swimmers must wear proper swimwear. No street clothes allowed.
11. Persons under the influence of alcohol or exhibiting erratic behavior will not be permitted in the park.
12. Admission to the beach may be refused to all persons suspected to have contagious diseases or infectious conditions.
13. Staff has the authority to implement and enforce rules that are stringent or that supplement those listed here.
14. No pets allowed. Licensed service animals are exempt.
15. Do not feed the geese or other wildlife.
16. Obey lightning detection system rules for shelter.
17. Grill equipment and supplies must be brought in through the front gate only. Only charcoal grills will be permitted.
18. Drop-off catering supplies must be brought in through the front gate only.
19. Tents should be no larger than an EZ-Up size, 10ft by 10ft.
20. Beer and wine permitted in picnic areas only.
21. Glass containers are not permitted on the beach or playground.
22. Use receptacles provided for trash, charcoal, and recycling.
23. Crystal Lake Park District special events may restrict coolers/alcohol in the park.
24. No riding of bicycles, skateboards, or roller skates allowed in the park Memorial Day-Labor Day.
25. In an emergency, call 9-1-1.
26. Swim break rest periods are scheduled twice daily for everyone's safety. Additional rest periods may be run every hour on the hour depending on attendance and temperature.
27. All watercraft must go through the boat launch area with a purchased boat gate access key fob.
28. Flagpoles located at Main and West Beaches carry color-coded weather flags. To help ensure your safety, please learn the meaning of the following flag colors and make it a habit to look for them while on the lake or at the beach.
RED: Beach Closed. KEEP OFF THE LAKE
GREEN: Fair weather, light air, and wind 1-10 mph