GROUP Wagon Ride & Campfire
Discover the beauty of Sterne's Woods located north of Veteran Acres! The wagon will fit up to 20 participants at a time. A warm campfire will be waiting upon your return. Participants are welcome to bring snacks to cook over an open fire. No alcohol permitted. Registrations require one week in advance. No refunds will be given to cancellations on the same day of the wagon ride. All participants must sign a waiver prior to the ride.
Please print a waiver and have it completed prior to your scheduled ride. Your wagon driver will collect the waiver.
The Park District has multiple locations available to enjoy outdoor winter activities, weather permitting. Parks are open dawn to dusk. All winter activity areas are monitored on a daily basis to determine usability and safety. The Park District staff inspect ice rinks daily. At each skating rink, ice thickness is averaged from measurements taken from six locations. A minimum of 6 inches is required to allow public skating, 8" to clear the ice with a sweeper.Skate Rink status
Rink conditions change with weather and temperature fluctuations. Daily ice rink safety inspections dictate open/closure. Click the blue button above to view updates.
New this season!
Ice Rink Open/Closure flags:
For easy on site viewing, drive by Main and West Beaches to see if the ice rinks are open!
green flag=open, red flag=closed
Main Beach, 300 Lakeshore Drive
Amenities: Park open 9 am-dusk, Lighted skating areas (lights are on 4-9 PM), restrooms available after 9 am
West Beach, 2330 Lake Avenue
Amenities: Park open 9 am-dusk, Lighted skating areas (lights are on 4-9 PM), NO restroom
Ice Hockey and Ice skating
Hockey goals are set up at Main and West once the ice is cleared.
Benches and skate mats are available at Main Beach once the rink is cleared.
Please note: we do not keep separate rink areas for free skate and ice hockey, but skaters tend to section it off on their own into hockey and free skate areas.
Veteran Acres, Route 176 & Walkup Road
Amenities: Lighted sledding areas (4-9 PM), restrooms and shelters
CROSS COUNTRY SKIING
Lippold Park, 851 W. Route 176
Veteran Acres, Route 176 & Walkup Road
Sterne's Woods, Hillside Road (East of Walkup)
Butternut Preserve, entrance off of Butternut Drive
No lights or warming facilities available
- May 17 Summer Tennis Lessons for Ages 5-Adult plus Golf N Tennis Camp
- May 17 Crystal Lake Park District Adult Camp (21+)
- May 15 Crystal Lake Park District Concerts in the Park Kicks off May 30
- May 15 2023 Beach Operations-Main Beach Opens Sat, May 27
- May 15 FREE Summer Sing-A-Longs in June and July
- May 15 Swim Lessons at Main Beach with the Crystal Lake Park District Swim School
- May 15 NEW Event! Aloha Summer Sunset Celebration on June 9
- May 05 Registration Open for Summer 2023
- May 04 Positive Pebbles Kits Available at the Administrative Office
- Apr 24 Thank You Crystal Lake Park District Volunteers!
- Apr 10 Lippold Family Golf Center Open for Season
- Apr 06 Limited Number of Community Garden Plots Available
- Apr 05 Line Dancing Class & Social Ballroom Class plus Social Dance Nights
- Apr 04 Spots Filling Quickly for Summer Camp 2023-Register Today!
- Apr 04 Crystal Lake Park District Nature Offers Spring Programs for Tots-Adults
- Mar 15 Crystal Lake Park District Awarded Urban and Community Forestry Grant for Tree Planting
- Mar 08 Crystal Lake Park District Awarded 2022 Government Award from the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County
- Mar 07 Crystal Lake Park District Awarded $600,000 Open Space Land Acquisition and Development Grant for Development of Park on Haligus Road
- Mar 06 Social Dance Nights March 10, April 22, May 19
- Mar 06 Paint Nites and Watercolor Painting
- Mar 06 Crystal Lake Park District Announces Spring Firewood Sale on March 18
- Feb 27 Update Regarding Northwestern Medicine Healthcare Crystal Lake Fitness Center and the Crystal Lake Park District
- Feb 22 Highlight the Night Son Date Night on April 28
- Feb 22 Mother Daughter Tea at Colonel Palmer House on April 30
- Feb 22 Four Winds Casino Trip and Land of Lincoln Trip Still Have Limited Spots Available
- Feb 22 New Sessions of Youth Athletics Beginning Feb 27 and Apr 24
- Feb 21 EVP Spring Break Volleyball Camp Mar 27-30
- Feb 19 Register NOW for Summer Camp!
- Feb 15 Next Session of Little Medical School Veterinarian Programs Begins March 24
- Feb 15 Summer 2023 Seasonal Jobs-NOW HIRING
- Feb 13 Register Now for Puzzle Palooza on March 19
- Feb 07 Valentine/Galentine Zumba Party Scheduled for Feb 10
- Jan 20 NEW! Galentine's Day Brunch with the Crystal Lake Park District
- Jan 20 Dates Nights for Sons and Daughters in Feburary and April
- Jan 19 Limited Spots Still Available for this Season's Adult Trips
- Jan 17 Willows Edge Park Invasive Brush Clearing Efforts Underway
- Jan 16 Snowbird Softball Tourney Team Registration Due by Jan 27
- Jan 15 EVP & Crystal Lake Park District Host Snow Volleyball Tournament
- Jan 02 Register by Jan 6 for Boys Basketball League
- Dec 23 Free Holiday Light Recycling thru December 30
- Dec 22 Winter Spring Activity Guide Available and Registration is Opens Dec 9
- Dec 07 Send Us Your Letter to Santa by December 9
- Dec 05 Holiday Break Camps for Youth and Teens
- Jun 04 Cycling Without Age for Seniors Dole Mansion
- Jun 06 Concerts in the Park-CL Community Band Main Beach, 300 Lakeshore Dr, Crystal Lake
- Jun 07 Paint Nite Woodscreek Building
- Jun 09 Palmer's Programs-Victorian Jewelry & Fashion Colonel Palmer House, 660 E. Terra Cotta Avenue, Crystal Lake
- Jun 09 Aloha Summer Sunset Celebration Main Beach, 300 Lakeshore Dr, Crystal Lake
- Jun 09 Zumba Luau Dance Party Grand Oaks Recreation Center, 1401 W. Route 176, Crystal Lake
- Jun 10 Paint Nite Administrative Bldg, 1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue, Crystal Lake
- Jun 11 Beginner Yoga & Meditation Workshop Grand Oaks Recreation Center, 1401 W. Route 176, Crystal Lake
- Jun 11 Bike with Your Neighbor Main Beach, 300 Lakeshore Dr, Crystal Lake
- Jun 13 Nature Tots-Hiding in Plain Sight Nature Center, 330 N. Main St, Crystal Lake